Rt. Rev. Samuel Bowman
Bowman, Samuel, Rt. Rev., D. D., was the fourth child of Captain Samuel Bowman, an officer in the Revolutionary army, who took an active part in the battle of Lexington, and at the close of the war settled at Wilkesbarre, Wyoming Valley, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania. Bishop Bowman was born there May 21st, 1800. The judicious and enlightened views of his father, husbanded by the refined tastes and Christian virtues of his mother, born and nurtured in the Church, were the influences that surrounded the earliest years of his life. At the chartered Academy of Wilkes-Barre, an institution equal to any of its contemporaries, he received his education. Ho was destined for the bar and pursued his legal studies for a time under the late Charles Chauncy, Esq., of Philadelphia. Soon after commencing the practice of the law, he felt an invincible desire to enter the Church. He applied for holy orders, and was admitted by Bishop White to the Diaconate in 1823 and to the Priesthood in 1824. He began his ministry at St. John's Church, Pequea, Lancaster County, in 1823, where he remained about two years. After a brief residence at Easton, Pa., where he had charge of Trinity Church, he returned to his first cure, which he held until 1827, when he was invited to take charge of St. James', Lancaster. After the death of Rev. Mr. Clark-son, the Rector with whom he was associated, he was elected in his place and filled that position until his death; for on his elevation to the Episcopate, his parishioners, dreading to sever the relations so long and so happily sustained, prevailed upon him to continue them. In 1845, the clergy elected him Bishop of the Diocese of Pennsylvania, but. the Laity refusing to concur, he cordially supported the nomination of Rev. Dr. A. Potter, who was eventually chosen. In 1848 he was elected Bishop of the Diocese of Indiana, but his strong attachment to Lancaster controlled his decision to decline. In May 1858, he was chosen, and in August of the same year, consecrated Assistant Bishop of Pennsylvania.
The funeral obsequies took place at St. James', Lancaster, on Tuesday,
August 6th, at 5 o'clock, P. M. Two Bishops, some seventy Clergymen, all
the resident ministers of other communions, and a vast concourse of
citizens wore present.
Source: An authentic history of Lancaster County, in the state of Pennsylvania; Lancaster, Pa.: J.E. Barr, 1869, 813 pgs.
Copyright, 2005-2010 by Webified Development all rights reserved.